Website Danone North America
Date: Mar 31, 2020
Location: Springfield, OR, US
Danone North America is the largest Benefit Corporation in the world. Our mission is to bring health through food to as many people as possible. Danone North America is looking for a Hand Packer in their Springfield, Oregon manufacturing facility.
Packages products manually. Performs basic quality control checks, including accurate packaging, package counts, and weight, and evaluates product or package appearance. Folds and tapes boxes, applies labels, and stacks boxes on pallets according to direction.
- Prepares for and packages products manually.
- Performs basic quality control checks, including accurate packaging, package counts, dates, and weight, and evaluates product or package appearance.
- Folds and tapes boxes, applies labels, and stacks boxes on pallets according to direction.
- Moves pallets to finished goods storage.
- Workers may use bar code readers or computer devices to track production efficiencies.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or GED equivalent is required, some college preferred.
- Prefer 6 months of successful work experience that involves accuracy, dependability, and teamwork, ideally in food production.
- Basic computer skills (Keyboarding, email, data entry)
- High mechanical aptitude is preferred, as promotional opportunities typically rely on a strong mechanical aptitude.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Maintains a safe working environment, functioning as a member of a cooperative team and safely performs job duties.
- Reads, writes, speaks, interprets, and understands English written and verbal instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Apply basic mathematical skills such as add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
- Must be quick with hands, packing product into multi-packs at the rate of 140-150 pieces per minute.
- Must adhere to strict “Good Manufacturing Practices” for work in a food production environment.
- A high degree of attention to detail and accuracy is required.
- Works with a sense of urgency in varying temperature environments.
- Tools used: Cart, pallet jack, taper, shrink wrap
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sit: On breaks and lunch only, less than 1 hour per day
- Stand: Static standing is frequent when hand packing and case making, mixed with walking while palletizing.
- Walk: Occasional to freezer over a distance of approximately 50 feet to the freezer and back.
- Lifting: 5lbs or less continuously, 6-10 lbs frequently, 11-40 lbs occasionally.
- Each case weighing 7.5# to 12.5# can be carried less than 10 feet on an occasional basis. Most product is moved by conveyor, carts and pallet jacks to minimize carrying.
- Push/Pull: Cases are moved from the production area to the freezer at a pace of 6 to 12 cases at a time, so a cart will be pushed about every 5 minutes when palletizing over a distance of 20 feet. The carts are easy to push requiring less than 10# of force, but each time the palletizer enters the freezer, the freezer door needs to be pushed open and closed. The door is large and requires about 30# of force over a distance of 6 feet.
- Reach: Constant forward reach, the conveyor moving product is 41” tall and product is located approximately 16 inches away from the employee.
- Hand/Eye coordination: constant.
- Grasp: Constant.
Comparing – Judging whether the product meets specifications in a fast paced environment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working conditions frequently includes a cool indoor food production environment with water on the floor, and occasional freezer environment, and intermittent outdoor environment. Clean environment, requiring hand washing every time you go on the floor 20+/- times a day. We have allergens such as tree nuts, soy, peanuts, cinnamon, and coconut in the work environment. In our food production areas you cannot have painted fingernails, jewelry, no sparkles, or anything that may come off your clothing or body that may get into products.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.danone.com.