Website Oregon Coast Humane Society
The Animal Care Technician is a critical part of the team responsible for providing compassionate and attentive care to the animals in the shelter at all times. The Animal Care Technician will maintain a clean and safe environment for all animals, team members and the public.
The Animal Care Technician will perform all necessary tasks to maintain all animal living space, including dog kennels, play yards, cat condos and cat play areas in a sanitary condition. Will be responsible for the welfare and disposition of the animals, including intakes, feeding, watering, exercising and adoption guidance. Provide general maintenance of the facility, grounds and equipment.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensure all animal kennels/cat condos and outdoor shelter areas are kept in a clean and sanitary condition, per protocols and procedures. Includes scooping poop, cleaning and washing litter trays.
- Ensure all animals are fed, per documented procedures, and all animals have access to water at all times.
- Ensure all animals are moved safely around the shelter, including dogs being on leash and cats being crated.
- Administer prescribed medications to animals both orally and topically, as needed.
- Perform incoming exams, vaccinations, microchips and other medical duties as assigned.
- Hold and restrain animals for medical examination.
- Monitor animal’s health and report any changes to Shelter Manager, Animal Welfare Specialist.
- Transport animals to vet clinics, adoption events and other shelter-related activities.
- Walking, exercising and rotating animals, as directed by the Shelter Manager, Animal Welfare Specialist..
- Ensure all laundry is completed in a timely manner, including washing, drying, folding and putting away.
- Meet with potential adopters to determine their “perfect match” pet, introduce the humans and animals in the home to the new pet(s) and, if adopting, process all adoption paperwork.
- Handle customer service enquiries from the general public about shelter animals and all other aspects of shelter operations, including answering online, email and phone call enquiries.
- Guide visitors with a tour of the shelter to meet all the animals, with a view to adopting.
- Update shelter software, PetPoint, with all new, adopted and moved animals.
- Maintain up-to-date records.
- Process spay/neuter & wellness clinic appointments.
- Other duties as assigned by the Shelter Manager.
- Must be comfortable working with, and around, all breeds and sizes of dogs and cats.
- Experience in an animal shelter or similar facility is preferred.
- Must be available to work in all areas of the shelter due to rotating schedules and to meet the needs of the shelter.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to safely handle animals up to 80 pounds and work inside and outside in all weather conditions.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds – reasonable accommodations will be made for greater weights.
Reports To: Shelter Manager and Animal Welfare Specialist.
Working Conditions: Animal shelter environment.
Part time – work days are negotiable to meet the shelter needs, but must be available to work regular weekends and holidays.
Email resume to [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com